B'awwwwwwwww. ._. Umm, if you took the time you stop bitching, and looked in the options, you would of noticed that you can disable fullscreen, and tweak the graphics if they were "too much" for you to handle. About the speed, ehh, it's not bad. The games load times on a late marthon game using an almost GB mod are actually drasticly shorter than Civ 3 load times.
This site (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=134045) claims that it is not quite as easy as you claim.
1) Browse to C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 -- or your Civ4 root directory.
2) Double-click "_Civ4Config" -- this will load CivilizationIV.ini, which is actually stored somewhere in your MyDocuments... _Civ4Config is a shortcut to it.
3) Find the line that reads "FullScreen = 1"
4) Change the 1 to either 0, or ask (ask will make a pop-up when loading the game that lets you choose each time)
5) Save and Exit
6) Reload Civ4.
Perhaps I did check the options but somehow the above wasn't obvious to me. Anyway, they continue:
Note: Two additional changes might be necessary to ensure the full window is visible. Either change the resolution in-game, or manually change it by the following:
And now we are nearly done. They explain:
7) load the same Config file as before
8) Find and change ScreenHeight from 0 to 768
9) Find and change ScreenWidth from 0 to 1024
10) Save and Exit.
11) Reload Civ4.
Does the same trick even work on a Mac? I don't know. But it doesn't seem to be quite as simple as you think. Perhaps you are working with a newer version of Civ 4? I bought it when it came out.
It was also a LOT slower on PowerPC than it was on Intel, simple because their PowerPC code was messed up.
Go ahead and dislike it, but use better reasons then you being too lazy to look around the options.
I actually did switch off whatever graphics I didn't need. I found the result too graphicy still.
Plus the game does require the DVD to play.
But I think my reasons are valid and good.