Political Machine 2012 - UK edition (MOD) - NOW LIVE!!!

A Total Conversion, For the UK

By on August 6, 2012 8:00:41 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

redarrow141

Join Date 08/2012
+17

POLITICAL MACHINE 2012 - UK MODE

The UK is here. The Political Machine 2012.

Public Beta 1_0 Release NEW!

I started work on a mod shortly after the game came out, trying to make a version of the game that allows you to win Great Britain, Instead of just america.

Its like a new game, with new parties, New candidates, but the same feel that we have come to know and love.

Things to be aware of:

• The map is considerably smaller than the US one. Not necessarily in visible size, but in number of "states" or "regions". However I don't feel that this negatively effects the gameplay, as it means that there is more crossover of campaigning.
  • The Candidates from the Original game have been removed. I may reintroduce them at some point, but they were causing the game to crash.
  • This mod completely replaces the US game, so please backup your folder. This is something that I can't really do anything about, as the game doesn't support multiple game modes. (for those of you with TPM2008, I am able to create a version which adds it as a scenario, if there is enough call for it)
  • THIS IS A BETA VERSION!! There are bound to be bugs, and there is content which I have temporarily disabled as I work on it.

What This Mod includes:

• Complete change of party names: You are now Conservatives Vs Labour
  • Use of British Logos and Music
  • New Map!
  • New Issues, more related to Britain
  • Replaced Endorsements, to be more British

There is a lot of things I still need to do, such as Interviews (which are currently disabled, sorry) and candidates.

• At present you will have to create all new candidates from scratch, as this removes all of the default candidates.
  • NO CUSTOM CANDIDATES WILL BE HARMED IN THE INSTALLING OF THIS MOD

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/515/map03.png/][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

^^^ This picture is actually an old one of my first creation of the map, the new map is much smaller as you will see, to fit into the game window better.

Unfortunately there are a few things I can't change...I can't add more parties, I can't make this a selectable scenario (at present it over writes america (so you'd need to back up your game)) and I can't change the $ sign to a £ sign. However, They are only minor problems, and won't effect a release

Install Instructions

Disclaimer: I take No responsibility for any damage caused to save games, computer data or you loosing friends if you play this game too much. Stardock have no part in the creation of this mod, and therefore can not offer, at this time, any kind of support. This Mod is created by an individual, and therefore holds no affiliation with Stardock. I retain the right to distribute this, and If the mod is illegally distributed without consent, then I will pull support for the mod, and remove the official post. Support for this Mod can be done through the Thread, unless otherwise told. Please do Not send Private messages to the Creator of this mod, or to stardock staff, about this mod, as It will clog up our inboxes, and I won't have as much time to make mods, and they won't have enough time to fix bugs and add content. 

In the instance that an update to the game is released, it is likely that you will have to reinstall the original scenario, or reinstall this mod, before being able to play the game, as the updated files will overwrite the files in this mod. If you have read all of the disclaimer, then well done, and have a cookie.

Step 1: Locate the correct folder, This will be found in 1 of 2 places, depending on if you use a 64bit windows computer or a 32bit windows computer. 

64 Bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Political Machine 2012. 
32 Bit: C:\Program Files \Steam\steamapps\common\The Political Machine 2012

Step 2: Backup this folder. This is very important, Just copy and paste the folder somewhere. I have a folder in my C:\ drive called "backup" where I have mine saved.

Step 3: Download the file.

step 4: Open the Zip folder, and copy the contents of the file into the political machine 2012 folder, they should match up with the directories already in there. E.g. data, Gfx, Music.

Step 5: Overwrite any files it asks you to. You need to "copy and replace" all files, don't try and keep both files, it just wont work.

Step 6: Open the game. If all installed correctly, you are now able to play the UK version of the game. 

Step 7: Create new characters. You will need to create 4 characters (2 for each party) so that you can have enough for the game to run. If you have less than 2 for each party, the game will probably crash. I will be including Characters soon, probably in BETA 1_2

Coming in BETA 1_1:

• Re-introduce interviews

Bug fixes.

Download Links:

NEWEST:

BETA 1_0: http://www.4shared.com/zip/NK0CtRoB/UKPoliticsBETA1_0.html?

Old:

Nothing old yet

33 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 6, 2012 11:16:49 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

If this is successful, I personally would love to see an Australia mod. Julia Gillard. Lol.

August 7, 2012 8:01:30 AM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Well there are only a couple of bits and pieces left to do, such as creating the default set of characters (not a priority) and then the big Job of the Map (which I currently have no idea how to do) and changing all the $ signs to £ signs.

I've put together a set of tools that let people edit the XML files really easily, using a UI instead of having to read the files. I'll upload them soon, but it will let you change pretty much anything in the game.

If I can work out how to do the Map, then I will happily do an Australia Mod. 

August 7, 2012 8:54:07 AM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Looking forward to trying the UK mod (even if only a work in progress) - good luck getting it sorted.

August 7, 2012 2:53:06 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Exciting news, for anyone who is interested, I've worked out how the map is constructed, so I will be able to create a completely new map

August 7, 2012 3:19:46 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Quoting redarrow141,
Exciting news, for anyone who is interested, I've worked out how the map is constructed, so I will be able to create a completely new map

Cool!

August 7, 2012 4:01:23 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Unfortunately with the method i'm using It will take time, as i have to plot the whole of britain into co-ordinates

August 9, 2012 11:37:14 AM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Hey redarrow141, what about the Europa scenario map from TPM '08? Europa was, of course, a satirical play on how Americans see Europe, but the map is accurate and already there.

August 9, 2012 11:42:44 AM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Stardocks previous projects are unique works and should not be used by modders, it is up to stardock to release any maps they have made; And im sure they would prefer me not to break the EULA by distributing their work for free as a Mod.

Besides, I have already finished my map of the UK. I am doing countries on their own, as Europe is not a sovereign state, and elections are way too complicated for the current engine.

August 9, 2012 11:45:58 AM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Quoting redarrow141,
Stardocks previous projects are unique works and should not be used by modders, it is up to stardock to release any maps they have made; And im sure they would prefer me not to break the EULA by distributing their work for free as a Mod
If you own both, you can move files over as you'd like. 

August 9, 2012 11:47:19 AM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Mmm, yes there is quite a difference between simply notifying people how they can do things themselves vs distribution of a mod and I had overlooked that you planned to release the project as an actual mod and not as various instructions as how to do it yourself.

Also, I overlooked that you had posited the UK and not the EU as the mod, so my fault...which would also explain why you'd use pounds and not the euro. How did I overlook that?? Ha, I guess I had imagined a kind of Europa jumping around Europe with leading members of the EU, like the famed former Markozy pairing.

So then are you doing individual counties, regions, countries, or what in the UK? I guess I could just wait, but I'm growing ever-more curious.

August 9, 2012 11:55:11 AM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Or I could just read about the electoral process of the UK instead of wasting your time.

August 9, 2012 11:57:25 AM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

I've split the country into various regions rather than counties, the problem is that there are far too many counties for a comfortable gameplay, and far too few regions. So I have split several regions.

the Only issue I'm really having is that I am limited by the basic shapes that the mapping uses, So I am looking at ways of adding more details.

I have all but given up on the £ sign, which isn't a large issue because the $ sign is a universal icon for money, so it is recognised by whoever plays.

The first instance of the Mod will have a complicated installation, but I am working on a few other projects, and within the hour will be releasing a Mod containing 2 new issues;

corporation tax and start up tax.

August 9, 2012 12:43:53 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Ah, yes, well, reigions that have the word "and" in them certainly do lend themselves to being split.

I can't wait to see how you match populations and what not with the American electoral college system.

August 9, 2012 12:56:02 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Well if your interested, I'm working out the populations for each region, but the "electoral votes" will be worked out dependent upon how many constituencies there are in the given region. So similar to the electoral college system which matches the number of congressmen. So by winning a region, you will X number of seats.

Whats interesting is how well it will work considering the executive is part of the Legislature. So effectively your fighting your parties corner rather than just your candidates corner.

Got quite a bit left to do, but I'm hoping to get a beta version out next week.

August 9, 2012 2:14:40 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Ah, right. Electoral college votes are akin to seats gained in a general election, and presidential candidates are akin to party leaders. That actually works out very well, doesn't it? I'm quite excited about this now.

Let me know if you have any busy work you need done. Soon, I'll be working on an "America through Europe's eyes" kind of mod (no map changes, yesssss) to sort of be a companion piece to Europa, but I'm now very excited about your UK mod as well.

And I suppose that even though there are many more active parties in the UK vs the US, it still comes down to the big two for the vast majority of seats, so it all works out quite nicely. I can't wait to see a flood of UK candidates as well.

Jay Vaughn (D-IL) endorses this mod.

August 9, 2012 3:07:07 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Update of my original Post. Hope you like the new image....I am aware that scotland is missing, I haven't mapped it yet. I will update the image once I have finished mapping scotland

August 9, 2012 3:53:07 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Very nice on the mapping; that must be hell to work on. I can't wait to see some issues. What's Cornwall up to? The economy, mining, and...perhaps a desire to become the fifth home nation? Oh, the intrigue.

Looking forward to it!

August 10, 2012 6:34:26 AM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Thanks for having two of my ideas for issues. Everyone can support tax cuts for Start Ups ,especially Democrats close to Silicon Valley. 

August 10, 2012 6:36:01 AM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Will love the UK Mod. I am a US student living in Europe studying Politics at a British university.

August 10, 2012 7:49:51 AM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Quoting LionDemocrats,
Thanks for having two of my ideas for issues. Everyone can support tax cuts for Start Ups ,especially Democrats close to Silicon Valley. 

Have you tried them out yet? I used them because they were a good example of new issues that I could add in to show people what its all about. I set them as one for democrat one for republican in order to get a game balance.

Quoting LionDemocrats,
Will love the UK Mod. I am a US student living in Europe studying Politics at a British university.

The UK mod should be out next week (in some form). I will be starting my Law & Politics Degree in September  

August 14, 2012 1:16:59 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Progress update: We are go, Confirmation from stardock that I can release this mod, combined with testing coming to an end. There are just a few more things to do.

August 14, 2012 1:33:48 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

By winning a region, does that mean we will win all of the constituencies or will it be like an actual First Past The Post constituency by constituency election? 

Will all three major parties be featured?

August 14, 2012 2:15:05 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

I'm excited to see this one in it's final state.  

I know with all the scenarios available in PM2008, I still preferred the standard one (2008 US), but I did like playing all of the scenarios.   

August 14, 2012 4:55:53 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Quoting redarrow141,
Progress update: We are go, Confirmation from stardock that I can release this mod, combined with testing coming to an end. There are just a few more things to do.

Glad to hear you're a go! Can't wait to see this thing come to full fruition!

August 17, 2012 4:13:24 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

Please stand by. The Mod is finished, I am awaiting some feedback from testers, and also switching from Desktop computer to Laptop in preparation for moving to university, The update is coming soon

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000703   Page Render Time: